LAKE WORTH — If you were planning to check out a free movie tonight at Screen on the Green, time to come up with Plan B.
Due to the rainy forecast, which calls for scattered thunderstorms, the city canceled the event at the Cultural Plaza.
The movie “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” was going to be shown.
The city said Evening on the Avenues will return next Friday. Screen on the Green will be back July 14 with a showing of “The Secret Life of Pets,” the city said.
LAKE WORTH — Here’s the latest on the city’s Hurricane Matthew preparation.
- Lake Worth Pier is closed due to high waves and swells.
- The Community Sustainability Department will close at 11;30 a.m. on Wednesday.
- The Planning and Zoning Board and the Electric Utility Board meetings scheduled for Wednesday have been cancelled. The Planning and Zoning Board meeting was rescheduled for Oct. 19.
- Thursday’s City Commission work session on the Lake Worth Casino has been cancelled.
- Friday’s Evening on the Avenue has been cancelled.
The city is reminding all residents to remember the following….
- There will not be trash, garbage or vegetation pick-up during storm watches, warnings or landfall.
- If you must leave your trash cans outside, secure them by filling them with water up to the wheels and attaching them to the fence.
- Items left outside are a hazard, can become air borne, and damage property.
- Anything placed at the curb will be cited (fined), billed to the resident and removed to prevent flying debris.
3rd Annual Ice Cream Social: From 6 to 10 p.m. on Friday the Clay Glass Metal Stone Gallery on South J Street will fill the gallery with all sorts of ice cream and toppings. You can eat your ice cream from a paper cup or buy one of the hand-crafted bowls and eat it from there. Decisions, decisions.
Sitting inside a cool, air-conditioned movie theater: With a bunch of summer movies out, there’s plenty to choose from if you want to stay indoors and be entertained. There’s everything from Independence Day: Resurgence (kinda apropos, no?) to The Legend of Tarzan (opening Friday with beefcake “True Blood” hunk Alexander Skarsgard) to Finding Dory (an adorable Ellen DeGeneres reprising her voice role a fish who suffers from memory loss every 10 seconds) to The Shallows (Blake Lively looking hot while trying to avoid becoming shark meat).
Evening on the Avenue: Food, music, fun. I’ll say it again. Food, music, fun from 6 to 10 p.m., Cultural Plaza, Friday night. Be there or be…..ah, I you thought I was gonna say “square,” right? But that’s sooooo 1960s. Just, well, be there, OK?