By a unanimous vote at Tuesday’s City Commission meeting, an ordinance was passed on first reading prohibiting canvassing and soliciting at the following intersections:
- Interstate 95 northbound and southbound on and off ramps at Sixth Avenue South.
- Interstate 95 northbound and southbound on and off ramps at 10th Avenue North.
- Lake Worth Road and the CSX Railway, located west of Interstate 95 overpass at Lake Worth Road.
- Intersection of 10th Avenue North and North Dixie Highway.
- Intersection of 6th Avenue North and South Dixie Highway.
The city said it’s experiencing more solicitors at intersections in the western part of the city, with canvassers and solicitors selling goods, services or trying to obtain donations from drivers and passengers.
Those interactions, the city said, are a safety concern.
The ordinance includes any area within 200 feet from the curb or boundary line of the intersection and will also include all Interstate 95 underpass areas within 400 feet of the curb or boundary line of the intersection.
The ordinance defines a “right-of-way canvasser or solicitor” as any person who sells or offers for sale anything or service of any kind, or who seeks a donation of any kind or who personally hands to or seeks to transmit by hand anything or some sort of service.
The definition doesn’t apply to any person who is holding or displaying a lawfully permitted sign, the city said.
There wasn’t any discussion on the ordinance.
A second reading is scheduled for June 6.